Bachmann 31-266 Class 419 MLV
In BR Green Livery with Small Yellow Panels
Ten Motor Luggage Vans were built between 1959 and 1961 at BR’s Eastleigh Works, to provide enough luggage space on boat trains in Kent. To allow them to work over non electrified lines, they were fitted with batteries to provide limited time away from the third rail, such as in yards, and docks. With the demise of the boat trains, they quickly found useful employment on parcels services, but with the decline of parcels services, they became surplus to requirements, most becoming departmental shunters at various depots with S68004 seeing use at Ramsgate.
68004 was completed at the end of 1960, in Green, but painted BR Blue around March/April 1967, becoming Blue/Grey in 1970. 68004 is preserved at the Mid Norfolk Railway in Green livery